Sunday, December 7, 2014

Red & Turquoise 9-Patches

One of the nice things about following other people's blogs is that their work inspires ideas in me.  Cath of Wombat Quilts recently posted several paper piecing templates for blocks she's discovered in an old book of traditional quilting blocks.  She converted to paper piecing foundations and posted several blocks.  I made up a few blocks in a red, turquoise, and white colorway, using her foundations and decided I wanted more.

I combed through several of my books and more than a few websites, looking for bits and pieces that would convert to 4" paper pieced squares. These 4" squares were, in turn, arranged into 9 patches.  I kept the center of each 9 patch the same but used different fabrics in all three colors.

Here's what I've come up with: 















I've just realized that I've only posted 17 or the 20 blocks I completed.  There are 3 more out there that somehow escaped the camera.  These blocks finish at 12-1/2" and will be sashed with a 1/2" red and turquoise print that I found amongst my treasures.

When I put these up on my new design wall, i was delighted with the bright randomness of the blocks. I'm experimenting with Quilt-As-You-Go on this quilt.  I was NOT looking forward to wrestling a large quilt under my presser foot. It'll be very interesting to see how it turns out.

Cheers!

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment