Thursday, February 20, 2014

Seed Pod Christmas Tree

During the Christmas holidays, my friend, Michele, came up with the idea of using seed pods from the local sweetgum trees to create Christmas trees. She gave me two of them, one silver and one copper colored.

Being me and with Michele's permission., I couldn't leave well enough alone so I've set out to embellish my seed pod trees.  The first one I tackled was the silver tree.  I added strands of chain with the junctures (messy glue spots) with a lacy silver bead cap and then topped the bead caps with 3mm rhinestones in multiple colors.



Coupled with the iridescent glitter that Michele finished the tree with, the rhinestones added little twinkles of color.  I really like how it's turned out.

Michele has collected an entire rolling tub of these sweetgum seed pods with an eye toward making more of the trees to sell during the 2014 holiday season. She also makes wreaths with the seed pods.  I've suggested making candle rings too. I think this is a clever use for an item that's more routinely cursed than treasured.

Peace,

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment